Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Damning The Seafood Restaurant With Faint Praise

Here's a new clip, with Pat at it again, suggesting you go to this little seafood place because the place ain't smelly.





This clip always makes me laugh, and not just for the commercial. The very wonderful H Johnson of WABE's Saturday jazz show sets up Pat's commercial just perfectly. He is sitting in the big Audio A studio at Crawford, and since this doc is a one-man-band thing I am interviewing him and running camera. I try to do a graceful slow and steady zoom in, just as H quotes Pat in a food commercial saying "well you are gonna die anyway so why not eat here." So I am cracking up, and you can hear me stifling a laugh in the background as the zoom shakes slightly.

This clip again shows the challenge of making a movie about radio. A lot of period-perfect visuals are needed. I really made use of the GSU on-line photo archive. There are thousands of images there, for a transfer fee of a few dollars. As I was keen on not spending any money at all, I stuck with their supposedly "low res" web samples... and guess what, all the pix look just fine to me. With this being standard def television, you dont need anything better than 72 DPI. Here's a photo of theirs of I think Decatur Street downtown in the early 60's or so, borrowed from the web. Looks crisp to me, I'm just unable to blow it up very much.



For HD of course I would have needed better resolution. But when I started this movie in 2000 or 2001, it would have been a complicated hassle to go HD. Now I wish I had, but hindsight is 20/20.

1 comment:

Agent45 said...

It's cool that you got H Johnson involved in this project. He is easily my favorite Atlanta radio DJ on the air these days.