Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Second Official Selection - Closer than Great Britian This Time


How about this -- the Macon Film Festival now has the Alley Pat film as an official selection. Thank you Macon. Their website says each of their films plays in one of three historic movie palaces in Macon Georgia. Looking forward to this one very much.

So lets watch another clip, one I call "Conversations I Would Not Have Heard." We introduce our pal Mike Cooper here. He was a radio journalist who first began taping Pat's shows because he found them so interesting and fun, and mailing them to me while I still lived in Florida. Lets watch...




So once again you see the filmmakers dilemma... a great story about an incident on a deserted road, and no visuals whatsoever. What to do. First, I transcribed the story and put the type up on screen. I figured that when Pat was talking in the movie, let him talk, but if he was talking to someone, show the words. Then I reached for a book of old highway maps I have from the 1950's. If you look closely it's what you dont see - no interstate highways on these maps, just a tangle of "Dirty Back Roads" as the B-52's sang.

The line "We stopped when we got to East Point" has Pat and Odell cracking up, and it makes me laugh each time too. But it is one of many local references (East Point would have been on about the fringe of the Atlanta metro area in those days) that I didn't really take the time to explain to the potential non-Atlanta viewer. In the same fashion as Monty Pythons early shows, never intended for viewing outside of the UK, and yet full of mysterious charm for the non-local viewer.

I took a call from Andy Young last week... he really likes the film to my great relief, 'cos of course we got him playin' the clown in it here and there. He went to visit Pat last week (Pat is still slowly recovering from a mild stroke) and said he was out of bed, in the kitchen, cussin' everybody out. We agreed this was very good progress!

I'll put up some more clips soon... I sho' nuff got a mess of them.

No comments: